Guidelines & Frequently Asked Questions for Ligon Visitors
Clothing | Shoes | Money | Lunch | First Aid | Leave No Trace
Weather | Cancellation | Emergency
- Dress appropriately for the weather – warm clothing in the winter months, cool clothing and sun protection in the warmer months.
- During the winter, students should have boots, hats, gloves, and coats. Classrooms will be heated for your visit but dress warmly for your walk.
- Sturdy shoes (hiking boots, comfortable walking shoes, and sneakers) with socks are appropriate.
- Sandals and “flip-flops” should never be worn to Ligon.
- Programs offered at Ligon are free so there is no need for you to bring money along.
If you are planning to have your lunch at Ligon during your visit, here are some helpful tips:
- Do not bring glass containers. Instead, bring juice pouches or drinks in re-usable plastic containers.
- Leave No Trace! Trash containers are provided in each building, on the roads, and on the trails.
- Do not bring foods that need to be refrigerated.
- Lunch and snacks should be eaten in appropriate areas only.
- There are no kitchen facilities at Ligon.
- Visitors should bring a basic First Aid Kit, insect repellent, and sunscreen with them to Ligon Outdoor Center. We periodically test mosquitoes and have not found any West Nile carriers.
- Visitors with severe allergies should contact Ranger Jason at (810) 591-4200- prior to your visit. Bring along any medications necessary for first aid use (i.e., Benadryl, inhalers, Epi Pen, etc.). Certain off-trail areas at Ligon are prone to Poison Ivy and Sumac so visitors should remain on the roads and trails while at Ligon.
Leave No Trace
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimize environmental impact
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
- Put borrowed resource materials back where they belong
- Most programs are designed to be both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor programs are weather-dependent.
- Make sure you provide us with a contact number for you and that you know the number at Ligon in case inclement weather alters your plans.
- In the event that you need to cancel your visit to Ligon, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance.
- If your visit is on a “Snow Day”, please contact Ranger Jason as soon as possible to reschedule.
In an on-site emergency, contact:
Jason Bentley, Ranger
Ligon Outdoor Center